Cell phones, smart phones, handheld PCs....In recent years, mobile devices have become more powerful, allowing you to browse the Internet, check email, download apps, share pictures, and much, much more. Enhanced features such as these increase the risks, so be cautious when using your mobile device and follow our safety tips.
Safety Tips for Mobile Devices
- Download and install antivirus software for your mobile device, according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Be careful when downloading software, such as Apps. Downloads should always be from a trusted and approved source and endorsed by your mobile device provider.
- Avoid "free offers" and "free ringtones". An email or instant message that offers free software downloads, such as ringtones, may contain viruses or malware.
- Never reply to text messages from people or places that you do not know.
- Treat your mobile device as carefully you would your wallet, cash or credit cards.
- Lock or protect your mobile device with a password. If it's lost or stolen any personal information stored on the device will be more difficult to access.
- If you lose your mobile device, report it to your mobile service provider immediately. If your device is stolen, you should also report it to your local police station along with your service provider.
- When it comes to a mobile device and driving remember that safety (yours and others) is the most important "call".