ATM / Debit Card Safeguards
A Northampton Cooperative Bank ATM/Debit Card offers you access to your money 24/7. Technology offers convenience, but it doesn't replace common sense. The following habits can help you and your money stay safe while you're using your Northampton Cooperative Bank ATM/Debit Card.
PIN (personal identification number) Safety
- Choose a PIN that is unique. Do not use your Social Security number or date of birth.
- Never write down your PIN on your card or checkbook: memorize it.
- Keep your PIN a secret.
- Do not share your PIN or account number with anyone.
- Never allow a cashier, or anyone else, to enter your PIN for you, even if they are assisting you with the transaction.
- Block the view of others when entering your PIN on an ATM or point-of-sale terminal.
ATM and Debit Card Safety
- Keep your Northampton Cooperative Bank ATM/Debit Card in a safe place.
- Treat your card like cash.
- Do not disclose card information over the phone to anyone.
- Never disclose information about your card in response to an unsolicited e-mail.
- Make certain your Internet online shopping sites are secure.
- Protect your card's magnetic stripe: do not expose it to magnetic objects.
- Report a lost or stolen card at once.
- Carefully review your account statements.
Debit Card Restrictions
The security of your accounts is and always has been a top priority for Northampton Cooperative Bank. Due to the increase in debit card fraud, we have blocked ATM and debit card access from the following areas:
- Central Africa
- Cote D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
In addition, certain debit card transactions may not be approved within the United States, with the exception of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.
Always let us know when you are traveling and your destination(s) so that your debit card transactions may be approved. This will help us monitor your account for suspicious and/or fraudulent activity.
We may change these restrictions at any time so please contact us prior to traveling.
- Avoid facilities in dark or remote places.
- Be aware of your surroundings as you approach the ATM.
- If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, leave the area at once. If you drive to an ATM, park close to the terminal and observe the entire area from the safety of your car before getting out.
- If an ATM is obstructed from view or poorly lit, leave the area and conduct your transaction at another location.
- Have your card out and ready to use. When your transaction is complete, put your card, money and receipt away and immediately leave the area. Never count your money while at the ATM.
- Never allow a stranger to assist you in conducting an ATM transaction, even if you have trouble or if your card is stuck.
- Prevent "shoulder surfing" by standing between the ATM and anyone waiting to use the terminal. Shield the keypad as necessary when entering your PIN and transaction amount.
- Look for possible fraudulent devices attached to an ATM. ATM tampering is one of the ways that "card skimming" occurs. If the ATM appears to have any attachments or alterations to the card slot or keypad, do not use the terminal.
Drive-up ATM Safety
- Keep your doors locked and engine running at a drive-up ATM.
- Leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit should it become necessary.
- Before rolling down the window to use an ATM, observe the area for suspicious activity. If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, cancel your transaction and drive away at once.
- Minimize time spent at the ATM by having your card out and ready to use. Once your transaction is complete, take your money, card and receipt and immediately drive away from the terminal.
- If anyone follows you after making an ATM transaction, drive immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- At Northampton Cooperative Bank, we want to help protect you and your money. If you suspect any questionable activity at an ATM, or detect any unlawful use of your Northampton Cooperative Bank ATM/Debit Card, please note the date, time and location, and report the problem to us at 413-584-4474 immediately. File a police report to document any type of ATM or debit card theft or fraudulent activity.